Tea ranking.

Everything else can go here! Feel free to talk nonsense about absolutely anything at all.
Roy_Castle's_Trumpet

Tea ranking.

Post by Roy_Castle's_Trumpet »

An ongoing list, subject to alteration.

1. Assam, Twinings. Loose leaf.
2. English Breakfast, Twinings. Loose leaf.
3. Morrison's Everyday, Morrisons supermarket. Loose leaf.
4. PG Tips. Loose leaf. Subject to demotion if quality continues to decline.
5. Yorkshire Gold. Loose leaf. Unpleasant upfront taste, fades into very bland generic "tea". Too easy to stew, not suitable for the water from Lake Vyrnwy. Will definitely fall down the list as others are entered.

ABSOLUTELY FORBIDDEN TEAS:
1. Earl Grey. Flowery piss.
I reserve the right to be wrong, and to correct myself as necessary.
thatalex

Re: Tea ranking.

Post by thatalex »

Where is Yorkshire Tea in your estimation? Everyone around me loves the stuff but I think it tastes rank, it has so much tannin you could cure an entire cowhide with a stewed cuppa! Spit it out now or puke it out later, those are the choices...
sharoma
Site Admin

Post by sharoma »

Funny you should say that Alex. Been on the Yorkshire Tea (bags) here and it's no good at all. Tastes horrible. I am disappointed, it's nothing like I remember. Maybe they're exporting their less worthy product to Canadians who won't know any better? Tetley and Tetley Bold here are also subpar, though I've yet to try their English Breakfast. Red Rose is average, nothing to write home about. When PG Tips was sold here, it was nothing at all like the British product. It's disappeared from the shelves now. As for store brands, such as President's Choice (who often make a good product), don't even bother. My Mum used to have Rington's delivered to the door and that was quite good. My Uncle Simon used to swear by Tesco's Finest loose leaf. As we know, products can change. Often they establish a reputation, market it, then let the quality slide so they can increase the profit margin. It's happened with German cars, it happens with British tea.
Robin
Roy_Castle's_Trumpet

thatalex wrote: 24 Oct 2023, 14:25 Where is Yorkshire Tea in your estimation? Everyone around me loves the stuff but I think it tastes rank, it has so much tannin you could cure an entire cowhide with a stewed cuppa! Spit it out now or puke it out later, those are the choices...
Good call. It's trash, really. Worse than the PG Tips with no doubt.
sharoma
Site Admin

Post by sharoma »

I remember when PG Tips was great, in the late '90s. Everyone bought their pyramid bags. I even had a PG Tips calendar! It also seemed as if every kitchen cupboard or shelf in the land had one of those Brooke Bond boxes with the woman picking leaves on it.
Robin
Roy_Castle's_Trumpet

NEW LIST as of 2024-01-10

5. Sainsbury's Red Label Loose Tea 250g (£1.65 [66p / 100g]). Not bad, but a bit bland. Has a good strong look to it, dark and nutty, but the flavour was lacking when made to guidelines on packet. Next brew will be made with an extra teaspoon of tealeaves.
6. Yorkshire Gold. Loose leaf. Unpleasant upfront taste, fades into very bland generic "tea". Too easy to stew, not suitable for the water from Lake Vyrnwy. Will definitely fall down the list as others are entered.

Original list:
(new list contains Sainsbury's Red Label Loose Tea)
Roy_Castle's_Trumpet wrote: 24 Oct 2023, 11:06 An ongoing list, subject to alteration.

5. Yorkshire Gold. Loose leaf. Unpleasant upfront taste, fades into very bland generic "tea". Too easy to stew, not suitable for the water from Lake Vyrnwy. Will definitely fall down the list as others are entered.

sharoma
Site Admin

Post by sharoma »

Our newest box of Yorkshire Tea bags made for the Canadian market isn't too bad! To be fair we reduced the water content from 'mug' (BrewMax) to 'cup' (Brew). I think you'd need two bags for a BrewMax, never mind a MegaBrew (would that require three bags in one brew?!).
Robin
sharoma
Site Admin

Post by sharoma »

Currently trialling Canadian market Yorkshire Gold. It makes a decent 'BrewMax' size mug from one bag, with an aftertaste which can sometimes be a bit murky.

Regarding Typhoo, which I've always been a fan of:
In 2022, the Typhoo brand was ranked 5 in sales volume in the UK in spite of being deemed to have the largest production output; this mismatch is due to major supermarkets' own-labelled tea brands being largely supplied by Typhoo.
Robin